Hi-Hog’s reliable and efficient self-catch calving head gate stanchion lets the animal catch itself so you can use your time to work the animal (rather than the head gate).
This head gate is included on Hi-Hog's calving enclosure and calving/trimming chute.
Simple, reliable, safe and efficient self-catch head gate stanchion.
The calving head gate is a simplified version of Hi-Hog's highly-regarded self-catch squeeze chute head gate. The core mechanics remain the same so you can quickly set, catch and release your livestock.
Ease of Operation
Before you begin working your animals, you will want to set the neck opening on the stanchions for the size of cattle you will be handling. Quick adjust plungers on the top and bottom of the head gate make it possible to adjust the calving head gate opening on the fly (no tools required). The three available stanchion openings are 5”, 7.75” and 10.5” in width.
The self-catch position is quickly and easily set with the simple limiter chain (shown in red for clarity). Simply push the head gate inward to the opening width that you wish, then draw the limiter chain in behind the head gate doors and latch the chain securely in the slotted key-lock bracket.
When you’re ready to release your animal from the calving head gate, simply push the release handle in the direction your animals want to go.
- If your animal is pushing on the head gate, push the handle forward and your animal will push the head gate open to the full width of the chute.
- If your animal is pulling on the head gate, then you release the limiter chain and push the release handle towards the back of the chute. The head gate will swing fully into the chute, providing your animal with an unobstructed exit (as long as your approach alley does not interfere with the head gate swing).
If you’re installing the calving head gate, be aware that the bottom fasteners run vertically while the top fasteners run horizontally. The fasteners are on 36” centers.
- All primary pivot points come with grease fittings
- All fittings are greased at the factory with premium arctic grade lubricant
- This head gate uses the same heavy duty timing chains as on our parallel axis squeeze chute.
- Heavy Duty construction
- Polyester powder coat paint finish
- High visibility, high grip handles
Low Stress design for the safety and comfort of your livestock
The foundation of all of Hi-Hog’s livestock equipment designs begin by ensuring the comfort and safety of your livestock. Livestock that are calm can be worked more efficiently and with less risk to both your animals and those working the cattle handling equipment. Animals that can be worked calmly have also been shown to return to feed faster resulting in better weight gains and less risk of injury or illness. These measures put money back in your pocket.
Here are some of the steps we have taken to protect and calm your livestock:
- The head gate opens in or out, to the full width of the head gate frame. Because it opens to the full width of the chute, you minimize the risk of hip-lock and provide your livestock with a clear, non-threatening, passage through the head gate
- The stanchion narrows above 48” but remain parallel below this height. The parallel stanchions remove the risk of choking if the animal goes down in the chute.
Built in safety features
The bottleneck in the stanchion prevents your livestock from throwing their heads up into the head gate latching mechanism. Additionally, the stanchions also include two safety guards just above the bottle neck. These guards protect the locking plates from being accidentally released by a horn
- Item Number: 110
- Item Weight: 248 Lbs
- Outside Height: 77"
- Inside Height (Clear): 68”
- Outside Width including Handles: 50”
- Outside Width of Head Gate Frame Only: 39”
- Centers on Mounting Bolts: 36”
- Stanchion Inside Width Adjustments: 5”, 7.75”, 10.5”
- Head Gate: head bail, yoke, stanchion
- Self-catch: self-locking, auto-catch