Hi-Hog provides four gate latch options for your Hi-Hog gates. The standard gate comes with the chain latch. You can however upgrade to a plunger latch, horse-back drop latch or horse-back lever latch.
This is the standard latch on all Hi-Hog gates.
The chain latch is made from 3/16″ material. The latch design allows the chain to be wrapped around a post and latched in the chain slot. For additional security, the chain can be threaded through the hole in the latch. This will make it far more difficult for curious livestock to remove the chain from the latch. You can also loop a padlock through the chain to deter humans from opening the gate.
The spring-loaded plunger compresses when it hits the striker plate then extends and locks into the striker plate. For installations where the plunger stroke is controlled (such as when installed in Hi-Hog’s U-frame), you should use the 7/8” diameter plunger latch. For installations where the plunger stroke may vary (such as at an auction mart where posts spacing may vary), use the 1 1/8” diameter plunger latch.
The plunger latch is designed to be paired with one of Hi-Hog's gate striker plates.
|1331||7/8" OD Bolt - Medium Plunger Latch||4|
|1330||1-1/8" OD Bolt - Heavy Duty Plunger Latch||6|
NOTE: The stroke on the plunger can be adjusted after installation.
Horse-back Drop Latch
The drop latch is designed to be operated from horse back. A 4′ rod slides through tubing that is attached to the latch end of the gate at a 45-degree angle. This latch uses gravity and requires the operator to lift the latch for both opening and closing.
The drop latch is traditionally paired with a post with a hole drilled in it to accommodate the latch rod. A striker plate can be used but it the striker plate is not designed to allow the drop latch to slam shut (as it is for the standard plunger latch or the horse-back lever latch).
|1334||7/8" OD Bolt - Medium Horse Back Drop Latch||9|
|1333||1 1/8" OD Bolt - Heavy Duty Horse Back Drop Latch||18.5|
Horse-back Lever Latch
The lever latch is designed to be operated from horse back. To release the latch, simply lift the handle and push the handle towards the spring-loaded plunger latch. To close the gate just push the gate shut and the plunger will lock automatically.
Ordering your Horse Back Lever latch
If you order your gate with a lever latch we can build the gate with the lever latch installed. If you are ordering your lever latch for an existing Hi-Hog gate you will be required to install the latch. Be sure to order the lever latch that is designed for your specific Hi-Hog gate.
The horse-back lever latch is designed to be paired with one of Hi-Hog's gate striker plates.
|Gate Style to fit||Latch Item||Weight (lbs.)|
|Heavy Duty 4' High||1323||5.8|
|Heavy Duty 5' High||1324||7.7|
Note: When you receive your lever latch you will need to remove the HANDLE STOP from the PIVOT AXLE SLEEVE.
- Remove the PIVOT AXLE SLEEVE and the PLUNGER from the LEVER FRAME
- Slide the LEVER FRAME over your Hi-Hog gate and re-install the PIVOT AXLE SLEEVE and the PLUNGER as per the drawing supplied
- Locate and drill [or cut] a hole in the end gate vertical to allow for the PLUNGER SLEEVE. For the Medium Lever Latch you will require a 1 5/16” hole. For the Heavy Duty Lever Latch you will require a 1 1/2” hole
- Tack Weld the PLUNGER SLEEVE in place as per the drawing supplied with your lever latch
- With the LEVER FRAME held in a vertical position, Tack Weld the PIVOT AXLE SLEEVE to gate’s horizontal as per drawing
- Tack Weld HANDLE STOP in position as per drawing supplied
- Ensure proper function of the latch and then proceed to complete the welds
- Clean up all welded surfaces and apply finish coat of Hi-Hog Green Paint
- If required, adjust the stroke on the plunger to ensure proper contact and penetration with the striker plate
NOTE: the Plunger Latch and Horse-back Lever Latch are designed to work with Hi-Hog’s striker plates. The plunger latches will however work with a drilled hole in your post.